Friday, January 28, 2011

Books that Should be Adapted for the Screen

I just received my copy of Stephen King’s newest book, Full Dark, No Stars (purchased on the Literary Guild site, great prices)…I love it! Of course, I knew I would. I began to think of his books that have been adapted for the screen. And, that got me to thinking of other books that I would love to see adapted for the screen.

The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins) – I’ve heard that this book is in the process of being made into a movie. I hope so. I couldn’t put this book down. The pacing of the story was great; you had to turn the page to find out what was going to happen or it would eat at you.

  • The Hunger Games tells the story of Katnis Everdeen and her journey through the most dangerous game any kid has ever played.

The Flowers in the Attic (V.C. Andrews) – This book was made into a movie in the 80’s. I remember going to the theatre the day it came out. I was so excited. This was the first adult book that I read. When I learned that it was made into a movie, I was ecstatic. Seated in the theater my little innocent heart pounded with anticipation. I was sorely disappointed. This movie left an indelible mark in my child mind – books should never be made into movie…ever. I have rescinded that opinion. However, I am aware that when I complete a book and hold it reverently towards heavens and announce, “Oh, this should be made into a movie” that I never expect the movie to be as satisfying as the book. 

  • Flowers in the Attic is the story of four children who are stowed away in an attic for three years, with no contact with the outside world because of greed and a lie.

The Witching Hour (Anne Rice) – This is an epic 1038 page novel (paperback copy) but it is a great story. It is very much an adult novel but the story is superb. The characters are rich and you’ll feel you know that at the end of the story. Caution: You may have to sleep with the lights on for a few nights after this read.

  • The story follows a family, The Mayfair’s, through the generations as they cope with a demon spirit that wrecks havoc over the females (and some of the males) intent on destruction.

Gerald’s Games (Stephen King) – I read this book some years ago. Then recently re-read it. This book is great. It is classic Stephen King with physical and mental torture. I wish I could read his mind for an hour. How does he come up with such great ideas for stories? The protagnoist in this story is a woman and he captures her voice well. You will root for her from cover to cover and afterwards.

  • Gerald’s Games is the story of what happens when a husband and wife have not communicated properly.

Rose Madder (Stephen King) – I know, I’m a little biased. I adore Stephen King. This heart-pounding book is a masterly written piece. Full of tension, great pacing, characters you love to love, and love to hate.

  • Rose Madder is the story of Rose Daniels' supernatural transformation from abused wife of a psychotic cop to independent woman.

The Servants of Twilight (Dean Koontz) – I believe this book was made into a low-budget movie some years ago. Hated it! This book deserves some real big money Hollywood attention. The pacing of the story and the characters are superb. Long after you have finished the book, you will be contemplating the questions raised in it. Undoubtedly, you will glance over your shoulder a few times.

  • The Servants of Twilight is the story of a religious sect bent on eradicating the world of evil; they relentlessly pursue a young boy and his mother. The story culminates with an ending that will leave you questioning what really happened.

Did I miss your favorites? Think I should have had someone else on the list. Let me know. Leave it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. We promise not to stone you for it.