Friday, February 11, 2011

Are you Prepared

Being prepared, as writers, as mothers and as students

I volunteered to help my children’s school with their book fair and came across a book that helped students study for the SAT. I immediately reached for it as I have a daughter in high school. She’s only in the ninth grade but it’s never too early to prepare.

As a wife, mother and writer I must be prepared at all times. I thought about the roles I play and how I achieve success in each. Today I will explore my role as a Mother.

Me, the Mother

As a mother, I have to realize my limitations. I wear many hats and because of this, I must select wisely what hat to wear. I cannot overextend myself. I won’t function properly in any capacity if I’m completely burned out. I want to provide a stable and loving home. In order for this to happen, I must prioritize my many tasks.

How do I keep things in perspective?

First, I delegate. I allow my children to help with chores. I’m not superwoman and don’t want to be. Well, when I was in elementary I did – but that’s another post.

I don't beat myself up when the house isn’t clean. Though I must admit, I struggle with this. I’m borderline OCD about cleaning. I digress.

I have a set of rules that I won’t break. I have dinner ready at a decent time on weekdays; I keep the kitchen and bath areas sanitary and I wash our clothes. Aside from this, everything else is in the air. They may get accomplished this week. May not.

With three kids a husband and a profession, my life can get hectic. Sometimes I must be selfish and close myself up in my closet (the only place I can get some privacy) and relax with a book or sit in the dark and think. While I don’t do this often, it’s done enough to keep me sane. I need time to unwind, to let everything else go. The house won’t fall apart, the kids won’t kill each other and my husband won’t starve. Go ahead take a break. Try it out. I promise it’s addictive.

I have my dreams and my children have theirs. I don’t beat my children up about what they choose to call hobbies. I have a daughter who sings beautifully and I support her fully in whatever she wants to do with this gift. I encourage them daily to follow their hearts and not their friends. In essence, I want them to have their own minds. Be individuals.

I treat my children like little people. Some parents don’t listen to their children. Parents, we too can learn from our little ones…no matter what age. My children have taught me so much. I thank God for the gift of them everyday.

Okay, I don’t have anything relevent to say about my husband but I didn’t want my kids or him to see this post and wonder why I didn’t mention him since I mentioned the kids. So, my husband is the best. I feel fortunate to have a man that makes me laugh…sometimes when he’s not trying to – but that’s another post. Laughter is the best. I highly recommend daily doses of it.

Another helpful tip for preparation?

Pray. It helps. I ask God for patience to wait (we do a lot of that as writers). I ask for understanding. The ability to understand and empathize with others and their needs helps me to stay connected to my children and husband.

I pray for many other things but I don’t think you have all day to read my ramblings. So, go on get writing. Oh, but please leave me a comment. How do you as a mother prepare to write or prepare for life period.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. We promise not to stone you for it.