Friday, June 24, 2016

My Top Five YA Reads of All Time



I love to read. I know, tell you something you didn't know. 

I've read far and wide but continually return to one specific type of book: Young Adult. I love the fresh experiences, the angst of first love, and I can forgive the MC's stupidity because she/he doesn't know better yet. 

I sat down to rank my fav books and this was incredibly difficult. But not impossible. So, the first book on this list is, as I write this post, my fav YA book of all time. They are listed below in order of how awesome they are (at least to me). Be warned, this is not a popularity generated list. These are my personal favorites: 


Fire Country by  David Estes 

This is one of the most original stories I’ve ever read. I tell people about it whenever they ask me about a book to read that's YA. This entire series by Estes is brilliant but this book, in particular, is absolutely awesome. The characters are each unique, the plot is outstanding (keeping me on the edge until the very end). The book is written in a future dystopian society that uses words much different than us. I found myself saying the words in my every day speech. This is without a doubt my favorite book of all time. I laughed, wanted to cry, and jumped for joy… Yeah, it was really that great.

Mara Dyer Trilogy  Michelle Hodkin 

Yes, I meant to write the entire trilogy. It’s rare that I absolutely love each book in a series so much. This. Trilogy. Is. The. One. It has all of the things I love in the books I read: memorable characters, an intriguing plot, and an ending that you can't predict but love so much you wish you had written it. This is the true story of Mara Dyer – but wait, that’s not her real name. You’re given that at the beginning of the first book and the riddles just keep piling up. You get answers, then more questions abound. It’s confusing and frustrating and I loved every agonizing moment that I tried to figure out what was Mara’s deal. It didn’t hurt that Noah, the love interest, was written as equally intriguing as Mara and swoon worthy.

Shatter Me by  Tahereh Mafi  

This book was poetic. I loved how the author crossed out words to show how the main character, Juliet, would say one thing but think something else altogether. I loved her way around words, she phrased things in new and exciting ways…not using old clichés. I fell in love with Adam just as Juliet did… and then… I won’t spoil it but if you haven’t read this story, shame on you. 

Hollowland by  Amanda Hocking 

This book was action from the beginning to the end. I read this it many years ago and every couple of months I check to see if there is a third book. There isn’t as I write this post. I enjoyed the fast pace of the story, I loved the main character. She was totally kickin butt – zombie butt that is.


The Super Villain Handbook  by King Oblivion 


Oh gosh, what can I say about this book. It’s a joke, and informative, and a real villain handbook all in one. I can’t properly describe it except to say that no, it’s not a novel. Each chapter is packed with info on different types of villains. Anything you ever wanted to know about them are in this book…and I do mean anything. But most importantly, it’s written hilariously.

What's your favorite YA read? Did you hate any on this list? 






Have a great day. Read a book and laugh. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. We promise not to stone you for it.