Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Randomness...Finally

Yay! I can update my blog again. So excited. I didn't have anything planned to say so I think I'll ramble a little.

1. I just finished two books by author, and Shewriter/YaLitchater, Kelly Hashway/Ashelyn Drake. The first had been on my TBR list for the longest: Touch of Death. The first chapter instantly grabbed me but I put it away because I had too many other books I was reading at the time. Well, I picked it back up last week and I'm glad I did. Can't wait to read the next books in the series! I read there might be a love triangle in the next book. With a character like Alex, the MC, Jodi's love interest, this will be awesome. Read the first book - you'll understand. The second was Ashelyn's Campus Crush Series book (a novella), Rushing Into Love. It was great - with lots of awww and ohh tender moments between the MC, Mindy and her love interest, Ben. I have posted reviews for both books on Amazon under my other name, Angelica Steward.

2. Speaking of my other name: Angelica Steward. When I first decided to write seriously, I decided to use my middle name, Dawn, and my maiden name, Brazil, to do so. I did it because I just thought that one day I might want to write something really different from kidlit. Not that I've gotten anything published yet but I wanted to be prepared for when I did. I was visiting the awesome site of Quanie Miller, a fellow Shewriter, and she was discussing this topic: writing under a different name because of writing under different genres. Check out her thought provoking post and the awesome comments left. Oh and she has a new book out, It Aint Easy Being Jazzy...check it out!

3. I still have not read Allegiant by Veronica Roth - yet. I was so excited about this series, too. I can't explain it. I raced through the first two books like a woman on fire. I started thinking about this seriously and thought if I feel like this now will my readers do the same. I mean it's not boredom...the series is awesome. There was a years gap for me I think between reading the second book and the last one coming out. I even think the release date was pushed back a few times. Could this have something to do with it. Uh, I don't think so... I've read the first few chapters using the "sample" feature on Amazon but nothing more. Maybe subconsciously I don't want to read it because I will have to leave the characters I have grown to love (Tris, Four, all the Dauntless)...

4. I was visiting another Shewriter, Chrys Fey's blog and she mentioned her book, Hurricane Crimes. So, being me, I immediately went to Amazon to get a sample to see if I'd like it. OMG. It was great. She hooked me right away. I am going to purchase it later today with some other books (maybe Allegiant) and I'll be sure to post a review on Amazon. Which, writing a review, I might add, is important to do to support the authors we like. I'm trying to remember to do that from now on if I like a book. I can't bring myself to write a review for books I hate though. I think because I know that entertainment is subjective my negative reaction to something may not be someone else's experience. And my mother taught me if you have nothing good to say then say nothing at all.

What have you been up to? Read any good books.

Have a great day. Read a book and laugh!

2 comments:

  1. Dawn, thank you so much for reviewing Touch of Death and Rushing Into Love! You are the best. I'm so glad you enjoyed both books. :) This was such a great start to my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think both Angelica Steward and Dawn Brazil are GREAT names to publish under. I also think it's great that you leave reviews for books. I haven't really been that brave yet but I at least rate them on Goodreads. I don't rate and won't review books I don't like, though. I don't like hurting people's feelings. And thanks for the shout out:)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. We promise not to stone you for it.